Some Vail Health Behavioral Health providers use medication management to treat behavioral and mental health issues as well as Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) for substance withdrawal or chronic pain management. Providers often prescribe medications in combination with psychotherapy.
What is Medication Management?Medications play a critical role in the treatment of various mental health issues. The right medication can reduce or eliminate symptoms and significantly improve a patient’s quality of life. However, the efficacy of medications vary from patient to patient. Medication Management is a level of outpatient treatment that involves the initial evaluation of the patient’s need for psychotropic medications, the provision of a prescription and ongoing medical monitoring related to the patient’s use of the psychotropic medication by a qualified physician/prescriber.
Medication Management requires a thorough review of prescribed drugs and their possible side effects to create treatment plans and monitor their safety and efficacy to get patients desired outcomes. Patients on long-term medication treatment will need to meet with their provider periodically to monitor the effectiveness of the medication and any potential side effects.
Classes of Medications:
- Antidepressants – used to treat depression, panic disorder, PTSD, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder and eating disorders.
- Antipsychotic medications – used to treat psychotic symptoms (delusions and hallucinations), schizophrenia, bipolar disorder.
- Sedatives and anxiolytics – used to treat anxiety and insomnia.
- Hypnotics – used to induce and maintain sleep.
- Mood stabilizers – used to treat bipolar disorder.
- Stimulants – used to treat ADHD.
How to Schedule an Appointment:Our providers can see patients in-person at the Wiegers Mental Health Clinic or remotely via telehealth.
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, by appointment
439 Edwards Access Rd, B204
Edwards, CO 81632
Schedule an appointment: (970) 445-2489
FIND A THERAPIST >